Tuesday 29 March 2011

WEEK 5

The Moving Image: Video as Digital Art

When I first found out that we had to film something I thought I knew exactly what I was going to use as my subject matter, but as I went on to do some research on Video Art my opinion and ideas started looking quite inadequate. The first artist we were introduced to in class was Nam June Paik. I loved the clip we were shown which I think is titled 'TV'. It was created in the 60's and yet it looks like something generated by the outrageous 80's. The first thing that I thought of when I watch the clip is the hit music clip television show 'RAGE'. The untamed and electrifying waves that shoot across the screen would play some role in influencing the credits, opening and traits of the show. I found it quite beautiful and mesmerizing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z3cIW2fjX9I (viewed on the 29th March, 2011 from Youtube)

Another artist that we looked at was Vito Acconci who was a pioneer of the introduction to video in art. I was very put off by the film clips of his that we were shown. We were told from the start that Vito's aim was to get up close and personal with his audience and make them feel uncomfortable which is exactly what he achieved in his clips 'Open Book' and 'Theme Song'. Although I didn't like his films I did however get some ideas for my own. I liked how simple syllables and noises had such a dramatic effect on the film. I also found it interesting the use of isolating certain facial features, and using only them in the piece taking away any identification of the person.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HYQAcHsgIwY (viewed on the 29th March, 2011 from Youtube)

My first idea was that I would work with my dogs. I looked for films that had sad elements and dark story lines that involved dogs. On Youtube there were many but the film that really caught me was called 'Detroit Dog Rescue'. The music, images and information that were chosen to be a part of the film appealed to the viewers' sense of empathy and compassion and didn't leave the audience when the document ended.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-bxTO_Q-5k (viewed on the 29th March, 2011 from Youtube)


Since dogs were originally going to be a part of my video an artist I came across was William Wegman. William Wegman's 'Short Films' is humorous the way he creates a pretend conversation between himself and a dog, and uses the dogs reactions to help continue is dialogue. I found that William's work with the dogs was used on the well known children’s' television show 'Sesame Street'.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xaeyf4_william-wegman-short-films_creation (viewed on the 29th March, 2011 from Youtube)

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xaeyav_william-wegman-sesame-street-dogs_creation (viewed on the 29th March, 2011 from Youtube)

No comments:

Post a Comment